What terrifies and excites me about becoming a lawyer? Lots of things. In the spirit of purging fear and inviting the new, here they are…
- the frustration of never being able to help people enough
- the frustration of needing to charge people $ in order to help them at all
- the prospect of engaging in work that is satisfying only to the extent that it is noble — in other words, not feeling effective personally because the justice system itself is so lacking in its effectiveness
- the prospect of being stuck in a practice that leaves me feeling drained rather than energized
- what excites me is the idea of innovating better systems, those using processes that integrate and reflect rather than ignore and diminish what is elemental about being human — namely our capacity for conscious change, for transformation on an individual and collective (thus evolutionary) scale
- it also excites me to envision my personal potential for transformation, on physical, mental and emotional planes. It both overwhelms and inspires me to meditate on the ability I have to evolve.